You are here

Radon

Radon

Radon — invisible, odorless, tasteless and cancer causing.

Radon is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas that seeps up through the ground and diffuses into the air. This radioactive gas is released from the normal decay of the elements uranium, thorium, and radium in rocks and soil. Radon is everywhere and we breathe it every day.

Radon gas usually exists at very low levels outdoors. However, in areas without adequate ventilation, such as underground mines, radon can accumulate to levels that substantially increase the risk of lung cancer.

What leads to a radon risk?

Radon can enter homes through cracks in floors, walls, or foundations, and collect indoors. It can also be released from building materials, or from water obtained from wells that contain radon. Radon levels can be higher in homes that are well insulated, tightly sealed, or built on soil rich in the elements uranium, thorium, and radium. Basement and first floors typically have the highest radon levels because of their closeness to the ground.

Test for Radon

Because you can't see, smell or taste radon, testing is the only way to find out if you have a radon problem. Homeowners can measure radon concentrations in their homes themselves using inexpensive and easy to use test kits, or professional, certified testers can test a home.

Learn more about radon and where to get a radon test kit