You are here
Saint Mary's Hospice
Saint Mary’s Hospice of Northern Nevada is a for profit, home-based hospice serving Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Virginia City, Minden, Smith Valley, Fallon, Fernley, and several surrounding areas. Through a philosophy of intense caring, Saint Mary's Hospice of Northern Nevada gives patients the support and comfort they need to live a fuller, more meaningful life--even in the wake of life-limiting illness. By helping to control the symptoms which may be associated with terminal illness, hospice allows patients to remain at home, surrounded by their loved ones, during their final days.
- What kinds of care are involved?
- The goal of this type of care is to help you feel better. And it can help you get the most out of the time you have left. But you no longer get treatment to try to cure your illness.
- When does care happen?
- In most cases, you can choose hospice care when your doctor believes that you have no more than about 6 months to live.
- Where does the care happen?
- Most hospice care is done in the place the patient calls "home." This is often the person's home. But it could also be a place like a nursing home or retirement center. Hospice care may also be given in hospice centers, hospitals, and other places.
- Who provides the care?
- In hospitals, hospice centers, and other facilities, care is given by doctors, nurses, and others who are trained in hospice care. In the home, a family member is often the main caregiver. But the family member gets help from care experts. They are on call 24 hours a day.