Sun Smart Schools
The earlier we teach healthy sun habits, the healthier our kids will be.
The goal of Sun Smart Schools is to establish healthy sun safety habits in children and teens from a young age to prevent skin cancer during adolescence and adulthood. Just one blistering sunburn during childhood can double a person’s risk of developing skin cancer later in life, so it’s important to establish sun smart habits during childhood and adolescence. The majority of sun exposure in a person’s lifetime happens before age 20, and as children spend most of their time at school, this is an ideal setting for practicing sun smart behaviors.
Sun Smart Schools launched its pilot program during the 2015-2016 school year in seven schools across Nevada. In the 2016-2017 the program grew to include the entire Douglas County school district.
Current Sun Smart Schools
- SRUMC Preschool, Washoe County
- Elizabeth Lenz Elementary School, Washoe County
- Pine Middle School, Washoe County
- Rogers Elementary School, Clark County
- St. Viator Parish School (K-8), Clark County
- The Meadows School, Clark County
- CC Meneley Elementary School, Douglas County
- Gardnerville Elementary School, Douglas County
- Jacks Valley Elementary School, Douglas County
- Minden Elementary School, Douglas County
- Pinon Hills Elementary School, Douglas County
- Scarselli Elementary School, Douglas County
- Zephyr Cove Elementary School, Douglas County
- Carson Valley Middle School, Douglas County
- Pau-Wa-Lu Middle School, Douglas County
- Aspire Academy High School, Douglas County
- Douglas High School, Douglas County
- Whittell High School, Douglas County
- Virginia City High School, Storey County
- Virginia City Middle School, Storey County
- Hillside Elementary School, Storey County
- Hugh Gallagher Elementary School, Storey County
Sun Smart Schools Curriculum
- Easy to Use and Teach
- Meets Common Core Requirements
SunWise, Grades K - 8
Launched in 2000 by the EPA, SunWise is currently used at 40,000 schools and educational organizations nationwide. It's the most widely-used health and environmental education program for sun safety with demonstrated success in raising awareness and changing behaviors. Materials facilitate cross-curricular learning about sun safety, UV radiation, and ozone science.
Sun Smart U, Grades 7-12
Developed by the Skin Cancer Foundation, Sun Smart U is consistent with the CDC’s National Health Education Standards for middle and high school students. The interactive lesson plan features true stories from young skin cancer survivors, medically reviewed Prevention Guidelines, handouts and activities, and can be taught in one or two class periods.
Ray and the Sunbeatables™: A Sun Safety Curriculum for Preschoolers and K-1: Developed by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and distributed by CATCH Global Foundation, the Sunbeatables™ program features five superhero characters to teach and engage children about sun safety. The preschool program includes 5 units with 20 activities. Preschool curriculum activities are aligned with the content learning areas of creative arts, language development/literacy, science, mathematics and social studies adapted from The Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Framework. The K-1 curriculum includes 10 lessons. Lessons align with the standards set by the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
Sun Smart Schools Policy
Sun Smart Schools encourages all schools to adopt written policy for sun safety.
Not sure if you're ready to implement a school-wide sun safety policy?
Effective school sun safety policies include:
- Promotion of sunscreen use
- Approval of sun protective clothing on campus
- Access to shade
Interested in Becoming a Sun Smart School?
We invite pre-k, elementary, middle, and high schools throughout Nevada to participate in Sun Smart Schools. We are happy to work at the school or district level, and with private or charter schools. Contact program manager Christine Thompson for more information.
School and Educator Resources
Click to Download Materials:
Sun Safety Policy Implementation Checklist
Sample School Sun Safety Policy
EPA SunWise UV Index: Mobile app or website widget
Sun Smart Nevada 5's of Sun Safety Poster
Sun Smart Nevada Sun Safety Infographic
Social Media Graphics and Website Badges
Sun Smart Schools High School Presentation by NCC Intern Bria Hosier, a melanoma survivor
Order a Sunscreen Dispenser or Refill Pouches
Automatic sunscreen dispensers and sunscreen refill pouches are available for purchase from BrightGuard through NCC, and a portion of each sale benefits NCC and the Sun Smart Schools program.
All billing and shipping is direct to you from BrightGuard, however by ordering here NCC will benefit from your purchase. Pricing is as follows:
- Automatic sunscreen dispenser (mounts to wall or portable stand, inlcudes 4 D batteries): $70
- Portable stand: $100
- 1 case natural sunscreen: $200
- 1 case sport sunscreen: $150
- *Dispenser releases 1 ml of sunscreen per dose. Each case of sunscreen includes 4-1,000 ml pouches.
For information on sunscreen and ingredients, please visit the BrightGuard website.
Request a Speaker or Presentation
Sun Smart Schools can coordinate a speaker or presentation for your classroom or school assembly. Our 5 S’s assemblies are ideal for pre-K and elementary school students, and can be scaled for classroom or all-school assemblies. Additional guest speakers include meteorologists and scientists, melanoma survivors, and more. Let us know what type of opportunity you’re looking for and we’ll tailor a presentation to meet your needs.
Replacing the Sunscreen Pouch